Monday, February 20, 2006

Another mixed-bag weekend

No picture this time- somehow I was so busy I forgot to take any!

Saturday I met one of my greyhound friends in Greenville to show her what boxing was all about. She's an amazing person-- strong, pragmatic, and with a dry sense of wit and humor that I truly enjoy. I had a nice short walk with her to find one box that I'd missed previously...and of COURSE she saw it before I did! LOL From there I showed her the next set of related clues and we were off! She's a serious hiker in the area and knew right where the next one was, taking me straight there on a LOVELY drive through her favorite park. She immediately caught the implications of the whole game, standing on watch while I rehid it after stamping in and helping me make sure the new hide didn't look as contrived as when we found it. It was a relaxed, terrific morning with a marvelous lady and I hope we repeat it soon.

Yesterday we had a long trip to Atlanta because of a necessary dog move. On Friday I joyfully printed clues, being absolutely astonished at the number of boxes even in that one small section of Atlanta we were visiting. We got a late start so didn't want to make any stops before we'd dropped the dog off but there was one just a couple miles away in the next town. We went straight there anticipating a nice afternoon of boxing and antiques. The clues led us straight to what should have been an easy box and the little businesses were closed-- the perfect scenario for urban boxing. Unfortunately, that one was clearly, totally gone.

We did a good bit of nice shopping and realized suddenly that the day was running away from us. I picked another boxing location just south of where we were that was supposed to hold a series of four (a jackpot when you're running out of daylight!). The weather had turned even colder with a biting wind as we walked through the little park. On my hands and knees in the wet mud, I finally felt the plastic of the box under it's hiding cover and stamped my first find of the day. Just down the path were supposed to be three more! Unfortunately we had noticed that everyone who hiked past us during the first box returned a short time later, but hadn't given that much thought. We finished the first one, climbed the little ramp and walked over a lovely bridge to go into the woods on the other side, and realized why everyone was coming back. The entire path and woods on the other end of the bridge was churned up into a massive, impassable mud hole. Apparently they're doing some expansion and earth works in the park. :-( There was no way for us to get past to check the rest and no way to know if they've been removed along with the trees that were protecting them.

So, my count for the weekend was:

1 previously missed box found
1 box missing (emails confirm this morning)
1 new box found
3 boxes unknown, path impassable
1 new state park on my list of visits for the year

Partly aggravating, but rewarding in any case! I'll have a better idea what to expect out of the Atlanta boxes next time though, and the count will be higher than 1 on the next trip. LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home