A Hike-ful of Lessons

On Saturday I had to make a trip to Greenville with a sweet, CUTECUTE little girly named Charbaby, so we took the opportunity to squeeze in the weekend boxing at the same time. I brought Florida and made plans for our first longer hike together. The picture above was the most incredible, peaceful surprise way out in the middle of the woods. We spent quite a bit of time there just 'being' together, absorbing the quiet and natural relaxing sense of the place.
First hikes have a way of teaching you lessons when not really expecting it though...
A) A new, roomy backpack is GOOD.
B) Lots of boxing stuff in the packpack is BAD. (Note to self: leave most of it at HOME next time!)
C) Water is GOOOOOOD.
D) Not taking enough water is BAAAAD. (Note to self: you did good planning on water for your dog ...she comes first... but next time, bring twice as much for you too!)
E) Hiking with a greyhound is GOOD.

F) Not taking any business cards while people stop you constantly asking for information, is BAD. (Note to self: pack a handful of business cards so people don't repeatedly ask you to wait while they dig through their bags for something to write your information down on!)
G) Having an energetic doggy hiking partner is GOOD.
H) Having an energetic, excited, refuses-to-lay-down-because-it's-all-so-interesting greyhound is BAD. (Note to self: when you sit to box, Florida needs to rest too! Teach that girl to down outside where it's safe and STAY DOWN until it's time to walk again!)
I) Packing a compass, digital camera, and clues is GOOD.
J) Packing them at the bottom of your backpack is BAD. (Note to self: organize better next time so you don't have to repeatedly dig in there while hiking to get what you need!)
K) Teaching your dog to drink out of your hand is GOOD.
L) NOT teaching your dog to drink 'other water' is BAD. (Note to self: Florida does really well drinking 'anywhere' if necessary, but she needs to get used to water not from home in case we run out in the bottles.)
All in all we had a wonderful time! We learned alot, and I definately see some things I need to do better. It was a wonderful walk though and I think we logged about 2.5 miles total over the whole afternoon. Definately a good start. We both need to build up that endurance and as the weather warms up I'll need to restrict her to only early morning hikes. Progress though, and even with the mistakes we both survived. :-)

1 Comments:
Preeeety dog, beautiful place, strong, capable, terrific, feeling person; well-written story of a discovery day in the woods.
I like it!
Post a Comment
<< Home